For a list of stations by grade, please go to bottom of the page and click on Learn More.
We provide 1 to 2 hour field trips during the school year and over the summer. Homeschool groups, scouts and virtual learning welcome! Browse through our stations, fill out a registration form and we will check the date to see if it's available! Field trips are $7 a student. Any field trip being requested outside of business hours, please give us a call to discuss some options.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN VISITING STURGEON CITY
Sturgeon City is an environmental education center that operates out of the former wastewater treatment facility for Jacksonville. We are now able to accommodate groups of up to 150 in our newest building!
- We recommend arriving 5-10 minutes before your start time to allow for unloading and getting into groups. If you arrive late, we will adjust the timing so your group will still end on time.
- Upon arrival you will be instructed to divide into groups, which can also be decided ahead of time. Please take this time to turn in payment for students as well as chaperones. Once you are unloaded, each group will go to their first station.
Students will rotate through rotations pre-selected by teachers. Stations are approximately 30 minutes each.
There are different options for lunch: eating after the field trip or eating off-site.
- Offsite: This option means that you will not be eating at Sturgeon City.
- At Sturgeon City - We have indoor space that can accommodate everyone as long as the building isn't booked directly after your field trip.
Our programs occur both indoors and outdoors. Please dress comfortably and be prepared for the weather if one or more of your stations are outdoors. Dressing appropriately can affect how students enjoy the trip to Sturgeon City. Sturdy footwear is important. Please urge your students to dress for the weather in the days leading up to your visit.
- If unexpected severe weather occurs during your visit, forcing it to be shortened to less than 60 minutes, the organization will be allowed to schedule a new, free field trip for the same number of students on an alternate date.
- If unexpected severe weather occurs before your field trip, Sturgeon City reserves the right to cancel or reschedule your field trip.
Chaperones are welcome but must pay the admission fee of $7. Please be aware that space may be limited and seating may not be available. We have merchandise for sale! For a list of merchandise and pricing, just let us know.